This is a Banner

FC Blog 3

27th March 14

In the very unlikely event that anyone is reading this, they may have noticed a deafening silence for the last few weeks. The reason has been that I have been having major problems bleeding the brakes. After weeks of no progress and gallons of brake fluid I think I have finally got the air out of the system. No pictures because I wasn’t in the mood and anyway everything was covered in Dot 4.

The good news is that the engine has been started and runs OK. The brake servo and vac pump seem OK and the power steering works. Rather than just cobble together a few wires to start the engine, I have started on the electrical system, so starter, injector pump solenoid, gen warning and low oil pressure light all work.

I have moved on to getting a bit more of the cab metalwork done with a sort of pipe dream of taking it to the Chiltern Hills Show on the trailer.


Sunday 6th April 2014

Big day. Roll out for the first time. All worked well, except the brakes which worked, but there is still some air in there somewhere.

The workshop now has a nice clean floor and the FC is now back indoors.



23rd May 2014

Last Sunday I loaded the FC onto the trailer and took it to the Chiltern Hills Show; there are some pictures below. I have been working on some of the bodywork and now have the front panel in reasonable shape. It needed a number of repairs and the bottom edge was sufficiently wibbly-wobbly to need beefing up with a small steel box section piece.

The cheek pieces had definitely seen better days and it was clearly going to be easier to make new ones than try and straighten out the bent bits of ally. The same was true of the small steel items that connect the bottom of the front panel to the footwells which I replaced with new aluminium constructions.

The lower doors have been finished and painted, but now removed to a safe place as they will only get in the way in the next few month (years?).

Here are the pics.



16th June 2014

The trip to the Chiltern Hills Show, which involved loading and unloading the FC  on the trailer. Driving it around the yard and the loading revealed a few problems. The carefully constructed transfer box gear change linkage was too convoluted and too heavy. The “yellow knob” linkage which was a rather weird side to side arrangement, was rather inclined to jam, probably due to wear in the lever at the front.

A re-think and a lot of trial and error eventually resulted in a new transfer box operating rod which first took a dive under the injector pump (the first obstacle) and then came up to go between the oil cooler pipes where they emerge from the filter housing. This involved six different bends in the rod, but resulted in a linkage that worked well.

Even more thought went into the “Yellow knob” linkage. It certainly seemed that the “rocking shaft” idea had probably been invented for the Series 2a FC which had a centre seat and was probably part of the very complex main gear change system. The 2b has no such problems as there can be no centre seat as the gear lever is in the middle. After mature reflection I realised that there is no reason why the yellow knob has to have an up-and-down movement, so I moved it to the front wall of the seat box just to the left of the handbrake. Normal control spring and knob on the end of the rod and a fitting was made from a 1/4 BSP bulkhead pipe fitting to get the rod through the seat box.

I made a fitting to bolt onto the engine with two of the bellhousing studs that supported a bellcrank to transfer the fore-and-aft movement into a vertical movement into the front of the transfer box. It all seems to work. Why Land Rover didn’t think of this I have no idea.

An extra benefit of the new arrangement is that the cab floor can be much less complicated with the standard Series High/low ratio rubber boot and a simple slot in the floor.

IMG_0792 IMG_0793 IMG_0795



























Going to the show behind the Matador

Going to the show behind the Matador